Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D
This is a real unix workstation. I have two of these: "M1" aka "ultra1" have 192 MB RAM and no cd-rom drive, while "M3" aka "ultra3" have 384 MB RAM and a cd-rom drive. The cd-rom drive is untested.
- type: Ultra 1E - Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz)
- cpu: cpu0 at mainbus0: SUNW,UltraSPARC @ 166.977 MHz, version 0 FPU
- cpu0: physical 32K instruction (32 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l), 512K external (64 b/l)
- memory: 384 MB, 6 slts filled (of 8 slots total)
- disk drive: sd0 - Seagate ST32171W SUN2.1G, 7462 - 2029 MB
- optical drive:
- video: Creator 3D aka FFB series 1 "FFB 1" - creator0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfec00000: Creator3D, model SUNW,501-2633, dac 10
- audio: audiocs0 at sbus0 slot 13 offset 0xc000000 vector 24 ipl 13
audio0 at audiocs0
network: HME - hme0 at sbus0 slot 14 offset 0x8c00000 vector 21 ipl 6: address 08:00:20:86:96:cd
- nsphy0 at hme0 phy 1: DP83840 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
Operating sustems: FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
back to old computers page.
2021-07-13: I re-created this page on my self-hosted web server.
2009-06-13: I had another CD-ROM drive (from my Amiga A4000) and this one works:
cd0 at esp0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0 cd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-4101TA 2483> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
Let's see if OpenBoot will boot from it. Yep it will. Note: the cdrom devalias is wrong, as the new drive is at target 4, not target 6.
2009-06-13: The CD-ROM drive was disconnected. I reconnected power and data cables, and booted the machine. From dmesg:
cd0 at esp0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0 cd0: <TOSHIBA XM5701TASUN12XCD 0997> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8) cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Media load or eject failed
and there are "motor noises" coming from the drive upon boot, and when the eject button is pressed. The drive is not working.
2009-06-06: Machine M1 ("ultra1") OBP message:
Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz), Keyboard present OpenBoot 3.35, 192 MB memory installed, Serial #9014402. Ethernet address 9:0:20:89:8c:82, Host ID: 80898c82.
2009-06-06: The M3 ("ultra3") machine has OpenBoot 3.35, 384 MB memory. OBP message is (transcribed from console)
Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz), Keyboard present OpenBoot 3.35, 384 MB memory installed, Serial #8820429. Ethernet address 8:0:20:86:96:cd, Host ID: 808696cd.