Apple PowerBook G4 12 inch
- Model: PowerBook G4 (12 inch DVI)
- cpu: PowerPC G4 @ 1 GHz
- memory: 1250 MB (256 MB on soldered main board, 1 GB PC2700 SO-DIMM (the old one was a 512 MB PC2700 SO-DIMM)
- hard drive: 160 GB Samsung HM160HC
- optical drive: SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
- display: 12.1 inch XGA (1024 x 768)
- graphics: nVidia GeForce FX Go5200 with 32 MB DD SDRAM
- network - wired: 10/100 base-T ethernet
- network - wireless: AirPort Extreme
- bluetooth: 1.1
- usb: 2.0 with 2 ports
- firewire: FireWire 400 with one port
- mini-DVI output: needs a mini-DVI to DVI adapter or mini-DVI to VGA adapter, or even a mini-DVI to video adapter
- boot-ROM version: 4.7.5f1
back to machines page.
2021-08-23: I re-created this page on my self-hosted web server.
2018-05-01: from Thingiverse - Vertical Stand for Two MacBooks.
2010-10-05: I upgraded the memory of the machine to 1.25 GB, by replacing the 512MB SO-DIMM (PC2700 actually) with a 1 GB PC2700 SO-DIMM.
2010-05-28: I bought a new battery for the machine, because the old battery was causing the machine to heat up while charging, and making the fan run almost all the time. I bought the battery from Altitec. The machine is much better now (fully charged, it now claims to have over 4 hours and 30 mins of power). Here is the topic that gave me the idea about charging being the heat cause.
2009-03-10: A friend had a spare Portable Power Adapter - 65W, which he gave me for free. Thanks! I verified that the the PowerBook could run using only this adapter - it can. I also verified that the battery would take charge - it does. Currently I am testing real battery life (after fully charged, OS X claims that the battery will last for 1 hour and 55 minutes - I think it is a bit optimistic). Update: The battery lasts for about 1 hour and 32 minutes.
2009-03-07: I bought a used PowerBook G4 12 inch. The machine works, but came without a power adapter. I was told that the SuperDrive doen't accept disks anymore, and that the battery lasts for about 1 hour. There are a few dents in the aluminium casing, and it is a bit worn on the inside, but otherwise looks fine.