Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D - FreeBSD
Hardware info on main page.
This machine runs the sparc64 version of FreeBSD.
2009-06-14: getting sound to work - just load the snd_audiocs kernel module. dmesg output after 'kldload snd_audiocs':
Jun 14 20:44:57 ultra1 kernel: pcm0: <Sun Audiocs> mem 0xc000000-0xc0001ff irq 2020 on sbus0 Jun 14 20:44:57 ultra1 kernel: pcm0: [ITHREAD] Jun 14 20:44:57 ultra1 kernel: pcm0: <CS4231A Codec Id. 10>
and 'cat /dev/sndstat':
root@ultra1# cat /dev/sndstat FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007061600/sparc64) Installed devices: pcm0: <Sun Audiocs> at mem 0xc000000 irq 2020 bufsz 32768 [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
2009-06-14: getting moused and the mouse to work. This machine has a Sun type 5c keyboard, with attached mouse. The keyboard and mouse use connectors that looks like ps/2 plugs, but they are connected to serial ports on the machine. The mouse is connected to the /dev/cuau3 port. These lines in /etc/rc.conf does the magic:
moused_enable="YES" moused_port="/dev/cuau3" moused_type="mousesystems"
2009-06-13: I installed FreeBSD 7.2-release from CD (disc1) onto a small disk drive (2 GB) that I had. auto partitioning didn't work, so I manually created the
following partitions (from
8 partitions: # # size offset # ---------- ---------- a: 537.0M 0B b: 778.2M 537.0M c: 2.1G 0B d: 268.5M 1315.2M e: 268.5M 1583.7M f: 274.7M 1852.2M
from swapinfo -m and df -h:
root@ultra2# swapinfo -m Device 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity /dev/da0b 742 0 742 0% root@ultra2# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0a 496M 147M 309M 32% / devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev /dev/da0e 248M 26K 228M 0% /tmp /dev/da0f 254M 141M 92M 60% /usr /dev/da0d 248M 270K 228M 0% /var
Output from dmesg: normal, verbose.
2009-06-13: I found a working CD-ROM drive - see main page.
2009-06-13: The CD-ROM drive was disconnected. I reconnected power and data cables, and booted the machine. From dmesg:
cd0 at esp0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0 cd0: <TOSHIBA XM5701TASUN12XCD 0997> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8) cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Media load or eject failed
and there are "motor noises" coming from the drive upon boot, and when the eject button is pressed. The drive is not working.
2009-06-06: I booted FreeBSD 5.3-stable on this machine. dmesg output: normal. console bug: I must type
slowly, or some keystrokes doesn't register. The disk drive (da0:
root@ultra1# disklabel -h da0 # /dev/da0: text: FreeBSD34G cyl 4460 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63 bytes/sectors: 512 sectors/cylinder: 16065 sectors/unit: 71649900 8 partitions: # # size offset # ---------- ---------- a: 271.4M 0B b: 781.4M 271.4M c: 36.7G 0B d: 271.4M 1052.8M e: 271.4M 1324.3M f: 16.3G 1595.7M
from swapinfo and df:
root@ultra1# swapinfo -k Device 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity /dev/da0b 763080 0 763080 0% root@ultra1# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0a 251M 58M 172M 25% / devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev /dev/da0e 251M 10K 230M 0% /tmp /dev/da0f 15G 5.3G 8.2G 39% /usr /dev/da0d 251M 20M 210M 9% /var
2004 and older - complete history not recorded.
2004-11-01: I wrote an article called Netbooting a Sun machine from a FreeBSD machine (via archive.org).